If you are planning to study in USA then you will have many questions in mind before coming to the decision. To help you out, the following are the list of frequently asked questions and answers to them:

Who is eligible to apply to the US?

Anyone who has a consistently good academic record and proficiency in English is eligible to apply to the US for higher education. Please check the details of the program and the university to which you wish to apply since different programs have different sets of criteria for eligibility. You may be required to take admission tests. Planning should preferably begin 12 -18 months in advance.

What’s the difference between a college and a university?

The terms, ‘college’ and ‘university’, are used interchangeably and mean the same thing in the US. As a general rule, colleges tend to be smaller and usually offer only undergraduate degrees, while a university also offers graduate degrees. Within each college or university, you will find schools, such as school of arts and sciences or the school of business. There are several exceptions to this general rule. Dartmouth College is a large research university and Ohio Wesleyan University is a private liberal arts college.

What is the difference between state and private colleges & universities?

State colleges and universities, also called public universities, are subsidized by US state governments to provide low-cost education to residents of that state. These universities tend to be very large and generally admit a wider range of students than private universities. State university tuition costs are generally lower than those of private universities. International students, as well as those from other states, are considered out-of-state residents and pay a higher tuition than residents of the state in which the institution is located.

Private colleges and universities are funded by a combination of endowments, gifts from their alumni, research grants, and tuition fees. Tuition fees tend to be higher than state universities, but there is no distinction made between state and non-state residents, and scholarships are available. Private universities are usually smaller than public universities.

Should I apply to a two year college in the United States?

Two-year colleges in the US offer an alternative to the more traditional four-year bachelor’s degree programs. Known as community colleges, these institutions offer study in a wide range of subjects to post-secondary students of all ages and academic levels. Students studying at a community college may either receive a stand-alone two-year degree (associate’s degree) or transfer to a four-year Bachelor’s program (2 + 2 program). In addition to educational flexibility, two-year colleges are also known for their affordability with relatively low tuition rates in comparison to four-year institutions.

International students interested in attending a two-year college and then transferring to a four-year bachelor’s degree program should consider the following factors: the articulation or guaranteed transfer agreements that the two-year college has with four-year institutions policies on transfer credit course requirements.

What is the academic calendar for colleges & universities in the US?

The academic year will be slightly different for each university but normally runs from end of August/early September to the end of May. It may be divided into two terms of 18 weeks called semesters. Alternatively, the university may have “quarters” or “trimesters”, which are about 12 weeks in length. Many universities have 6-8 week optional summer terms. Summer course allow students to earn their degree faster, decrease their course load during the regular terms, and/or make up for courses not completed successfully during the regular academic year. There are at least two main holidays during the academic year: a 2-4 week break during the Christmas holidays and a one-week spring break sometime between early March and mid April.

Can I take a gap year before studying in the USA?

Certainly, it is not as common for American students to take a gap year so you will need to ring or email the university’s admissions office to see what their policy is for students wishing to defer admission for a full year. American universities will value the experience and maturity that you will gain on a gap year, especially if you are doing something purposeful with your year such as voluntary service, learning a language, saving up for your studies or travelling to a new part of the world.
Some students taking a gap year will apply in upper sixth and then ask for permission to defer their admission (note that you may not automatically be able to defer scholarship offers). Others complete their application in the summer / early autumn after their A-levels and find they have more time to focus on their applications and can write about their gap year plans in their admissions essay.

If you are thinking about study in Australia it is likely that you’ll have many questions before making your decision. To help you out, we have compiled a list of answers to frequently asked questions by international students. If you have additional questions, please contact us.

Why should I study in Australia?

Australia invests billions of dollars into education each year. So Australian universities and education institutions offer world-class facilities and educators. Your Australian qualifications will be globally recognised and respected.
Study in Australia offers much more than just a premium education. You will enjoy many different lifestyle choices, a high standard of living and great value for money. Its rich multicultural community means you will meet many different people from different cultures. Check out our Life in Australia page for more information.
When you study in Australia you will develop a broad outlook, excellent life experience, maturity and independence. All qualities that are highly sought-after in the global employment market.

General information

Are Australian qualifications recognised overseas?
Australian qualifications are highly respected internationally and are distinguished by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). The AQF is our national system of learning that is recognised by many overseas countries.
Brilliant Education represents quality nationally accredited institutions. So you can be sure your qualifications will be highly regarded wherever you choose to establish your career.

How many international students study in Australia?
There are over 500 000 international students studying in Australian institutions currently with this number expected to increase in coming years.

Where can I get information on courses available to study in Australia?
Brilliant Education can provide you with valuable course information tailored to your interests.

What are Australian university semester dates?
Generally Australian universities have two semesters. The first is from February to June and the second from July to November. This can vary somewhat between universities and colleges.

Which university will I study at?
Brilliant Education works with universities and education institutions throughout Australia. Your university will depend on your choice of study program and eligibility. Brilliant Education will help you choose the right institution for you.
What is vocational and technical education?
Australia’s Vocational and Technical Education (VTE) system is often referred to as Technical and Vocational Education (TVE) in other countries.
VTE delivers training that is practical and career-oriented. Courses include: computing, business studies, marketing, tourism and hospitality. VTE is also available in Australian schools.

Can international students attend schools in Australia?
Yes. All government and non-government schools accept international students and must meet special requirements under Australian Government legislation.


What entry requirements do I need to satisfy before I can study in Australia?
These vary between study programs and levels. Brilliant Education will help you identify and satisfy the entry requirements of your chosen course. For each course you will need to meet a minimum English language requirement.

How long will I need to study to reach adequate English language levels?
There are six major categories of English language courses catering for all levels of proficiency. Full-time course duration generally ranges from four to 48 weeks. Students can enrol at any time during the year.

How do I apply to study in Australia?
Complete the enquiry form (provide the connection to Enquiry Form).

What application closing dates do I need to be aware of?
These will vary depending on your choice of university and study program. Brilliant Education will help you meet all application deadlines. You can apply to Brilliant Education any time of year.
You should be aware though that some study programs fill up quickly. Student visas can take some months to process. And you may have special entry requirements to meet for your program of study. These can impact on the speed of your application process.

What happens if my application to study in Australia is unsuccessful?
Unsuccessful applications are often due to entry requirements not being met. Brilliant Education will help you meet these requirements and advise you on other available study options in your chosen field.

Student Visa Information

Do I need a student visa to study in Australia?
Yes. Brilliant Education has been handling student visas for over a decade. We can guide you through this process to ensure your documentation is complete and correct so your student visa is granted quickly.

Do I have to complete my studies within a certain time frame?
Yes. Your student visa specifies an expected duration in which you will study in Australia. You must complete your studies within this duration.

Can I extend my student visa in Australia?
Yes. You can apply to extend your student visa if you have not completed your studies within the expected duration.

What if I finish my studies early?
You must leave Australia within 28 working days. If you wish to extend your stay in Australia you must gain approval from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).

Can I change my program of study after I have arrived in Australia?
Yes. You will need to get necessary permission from your university. If you change qualifications you may also need to submit a new student visa application.


How much does it cost to study in Australia?
Australia offers very competitively priced study and living. Overall, we are consistently less expensive than the USA and UK. You must provide financial capability as set by DIBP.
Tuition fees will vary depending on the course and university at which you study and also your chosen lifestyle and activity expenses.

Are student loans available to international students who study in Australia?

Are scholarships available to international students who study in Australia?
Yes. Most scholarships however, are offered for postgraduate study in universities. The majority of international students in Australia are full-fee paying students and are not awarded scholarships.

Can international students work while completing their studies?
Student visa holders are allowed to work up to 20 hours per week during their study in Australia. The spouses of Masters and PhD students can work unlimited hours.

Do I need a tax file number if I study in Australia?
You will need Australian tax file number (TFN) for banking and tax purposes if you work during study. Every Australian Post Office will have an application form available. Or you can apply online.


What can I do in my spare time?
Australia offers many different lifestyle and activity choices. These vary depending on your choice of university and community.
Both your campus and community will have lots of extra curricula activities on offer. These include music, drama, sports and outdoors activities. Australian Agency can also help you with all travel arrangements to see more of Australia during your down-time.
Visit Life in Australia for more information.

What is the weather like in Australia?
Australia is diverse in its geography and climate. It is located in the southern hemisphere. This means Australia’s summer starts in December and winter begins in June. Nearly a third of Australia is in the tropics where the average temperatures are in the mid 20 degrees Celsius. The southern areas are in a temperate zone.

If you are planning to study in New Zealand then you will have many questions in mind before coming to the decision. To help you out, the following are the list of frequently asked questions and answers to them:

How do I choose a school/institution?

Before you enroll at a Private Training Establishment (including English language schools), check that it’s registered with the New Zealand Qualifications Authority, that its programme is approved and that the organization is accredited.

You can do that at:
(Institutes of technology and polytechnics, universities and wānanga are set up separately by government legislation and follow different rules.)
Registration with NZQA ensures that the school provides a sound and stable learning environment.
NZQA programme approval confirms that a programme is based on clear and consistent aims, content, outcomes and assessment practices which lead to a recognised qualification.

An NZQA accreditation confirms that the organisation can deliver an approved programme.
You should also check with NZQA to see if the school has had an external evaluation and review (EER) recently. EER is a periodic evaluation of a tertiary education organisation. It provides an independent judgement of the organisation’s educational performance and capability in self-assessment.

Finally, you should check that your school has signed up to the Code of Practice for the Pastoral Care of International Students.

How do I travel around New Zealand?

With so many things to do and spectacular places to see, you’ll want to do as much exploring as your time away from study allows.
Travelling around New Zealand is easy. For holidays, most people drive and self-drive rentals are easily available, or you can take one of the bus and coach services that connect most centres.
The road network covers the whole country, although you may find our roads are more narrow and windy than you’re used to. The North and South Island road systems are linked by the Interislander and Bluebridge car and passenger ferries, a 2½ hour ferry trip taking in the picturesque Marlborough sounds.
Railways are limited, although there are some services between main centres which offer a great way to see some of New Zealand’s most spectacular scenery.
New Zealanders frequently fly. Airports make every part of the country accessible, from Kaitaia Airport in the far north to Ryan’s Creek Aerodrome on Stewart Island. One way domestic air travel tickets between the main centres can cost as little as NZ$59.

What is the lifestyle like in New Zealand?

Life in New Zealand is safe and secure, and we enjoy one of the most well-balanced lifestyles in the world.
In fact, when the Economist Intelligence Unit measured which countries provide the best opportunities for a healthy, safe and prosperous life, New Zealand was in its top ten best places to be born in 2013.
New Zealanders are friendly and typically welcoming to newcomers. We’re great international travellers ourselves, and nearly a quarter of us were born outside New Zealand. Around 10% of New Zealanders are of Asian ethnic origin.
That all adds up to a warm welcome. In fact, nine out of ten migrants find that the welcome they receive when they first arrive meets or exceeds their expectations, according to a recent Immigration New Zealand survey.
International students enjoy the added support and protection provided by our Code of Practice for the care of students. The Code, the world’s first, sets standards for how educational institutions must support international students in and out of the classroom.
Every educational institution must sign up to the Code of Practice before they can accept international students. As part of that, they must have staff on hand who are experienced in helping international students solve any problems and settle into their new home. The Code also ensures that the financial investment in their education is protected.You’ll have plenty of living options. From apartments in the city to homestays in the countryside, you’ll find something that suits you and your study needs.

What student discounts are available?

When you get your New Zealand student ID card, you’ll benefit from many student discounts available in the area you choose to live. There’s more information at www.studyzone.co.nz/life/discounts.php
ISIC cards (International Student Identity Cards) are available for NZ$25. They give you discounts on getting around New Zealand, accommodation and activities and more. Find out more at www.isiccard.co.nz/
You can also buy student discount cards from various companies for around $20 – check out StudentCard and Training Card at www.studentcard.co.nz/

What types of accommodations are available?

You’ll have plenty of living options. From apartments in the city to home stays in the countryside, you’ll find something that suits you and your study needs.
A homestay (or private board)
With a homestay you live with a New Zealand family in their home, usually in a fully furnished room of your own. They’ll provide you with meals and help you to settle in to day-to-day life in New Zealand.
A homestay is a great way to get to know some friendly New Zealanders, develop your English skills and get a close-up look at New Zealand’s way of life and culture.

Halls of residence (or hostel)

This is a good choice if you’d like to meet new people and live in a secure, safe place. Usually just a walk away from campus, halls of residence offer fully furnished single or twin-share rooms with a shared dining hall, lounge and laundry. Meals are often included and you’ll probably find a lively programme of sport and other fun activities on offer. A number of the larger institutions also provide private hostels that run in a similar way, and some have self-contained apartments (which we call ‘flats’). A home stay (or private board) With a home stay you live with a New Zealand family in their home, usually in a fully furnished room of your own. They’ll provide you with meals and help you to settle in to day-to-day life in New Zealand. A homestay is a great way to get to know some friendly New Zealanders, develop your English skills and get a close-up look at New Zealand’s way of life and culture.

Flatting/independent accommodation

Flats range from one-bedroom apartments to four- or five-bedroom homes, and can be found just about anywhere – close to cities and campuses or further out in the surrounding suburbs, where you’re more likely to find gardens and car-parking space.

How much does it cost to live in New Zealand?

Comparing living costs is hard. It depends on which country you come from, and what part. It also depends on which part of New Zealand you’re coming to. As is probably the case in your country, big cities are more expensive places to live in than the smaller centres.
But overall, the costs of living here are comparable to other western-style OECD countries. Some things will cost less; others (particularly items that have had to be imported from long distances) will cost more.

Are scholarships available?

A number of scholarships are available to help international students fund their tertiary studies in New Zealand, at undergraduate, graduate and doctoral levels.
They are available from a wide range of sources including the New Zealand government, the educational institutions themselves, foreign governments, philanthropic organizations and private sources.

If you are planning to study in Poland then you will have many questions in mind before coming to the decision. To help you out, the following are the list of frequently asked questions and answers to them:

Do I have to speak Polish?

There are English courses available for international students, so you don’t have to speak Polish. If you prefer to study in Polish you will have to complete a Polish language course before you start studying.

Are any scholarships available?

Students with proved Polish origin (having “karta polaka”) may apply for budget-funded studies on the same basis as Polish citizens. A list of scholarships provided by the Polish government and other organizations is available at:www.buwiwm.edu.pl. Other scholarship offers may be available in certain Universities. You should check it out in a course search engine and in the International Students office of the University of your choice.

What do I need to enroll?

To qualify all international applicants must first meet the minimum requirements for entry into higher education in their own country, have a matriculation certificate or equivalent document; command of English (at least on an intermediate level) is also required.
Some departments of the arts, physical education, and departments preparing students for the teaching profession, medical and technical universities may organize additional aptitude tests. All graduating from Polish institutions of higher education receive a Diploma Supplement. The Supplement is available free of charge and is issued in Polish, and on request in other languages (English, German, French, Spanish or Russian). Since Poland ratified the Lisbon Convention on Recognition of Degrees in 2004 recognition of Polish diplomas has become easier inter-nationally.
For information on diploma recognition please visitwww.buwiwm.edu.pl.

When academic year starts and ends?

In most cases the academic year at Polish universities consists of 2 semesters of 15 weeks duration each. Fall semester starts in the beginning of October and lasts till mid-February, with two-week break for Christmas holidays and with a one-week vacation period in February. Spring semester starts in mid February and lasts till the end of June, with one-week break for Easter holidays. Summer vacation lasts from the beginning of July to the end of September.

Is health insurance required?

Medical care in Poland is not free of charge. Health insurance is mandatory for all students for the entire duration of their stay in Poland. The students from non-EU/EEA countries are recommended to buy medical insurance in their home country or immediately after their arrival in Poland. Otherwise students are required to pay for any health service they get. Foreign students are also advised to purchase third party liability insurance and accident insurance.
More information can be found on The National Health Fund website:www.nfz.gov.pl.

Can I apply for scholarship?

All international students may apply for scholarships within bilateral agreements on direct cooperation offered through Bureau for Academic Recognition and International Exchange (www.buwiwm.edu.pl) to one of the following countries: Albania, Algeria, Angola, Argentina, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belgium, Belarus, Brazil, Bulgaria, Canada, Chile, China, Columbia, Croatia, Cuba, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Egypt, Ecuador, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Georgia, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Iran, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Korea, Latvia, Lichtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Mexico, Moldova, Mongolia, Montenegro, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Peru, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Syria, Switzerland, Sweden, Tajikistan, Taiwan, Tunisia, Turkey, the Ukraine, USA, Uzbekistan, the United Kingdom, Venezuela, Vietnam.

How much money do I need for accommodation and other living costs?

Thirty students’ dormitories offer 9,500 beds for those who seek accommodation. For a monthly accommodation one have to pay their PLN 250-720. If you decide to stay in a students’ flat, you will have to pay at least PLN 350 per room, whereas if you wish to rent a oneroom flat, you will have to pay PLN 1,000 monthly.
If you wish to eat something tasty and not spend a big amount of money, it is worth visiting one of a dozen or so milk bars, where dinner costs as much as PLN 5. The cost of a monthly board amounts to PLN 400.
You can arrive at any place in the town by numerous bus and tram lines, including “Pestka” (Poznań Fast Tram). The student monthly season ticket is an expense of several dozen PLN.

Visit Us On FacebookVisit Us On Google Plus