• Location: North America
  • Population: 310 million
  • No. of states: 50
  • Capital: Washington DC
  • Total Area: 9.842 million km2
  • GDP: $17.914 trillion/
  • Language: English and Spanish is second most commonly spoken.
  • Currency: US Dollars
  • Intakes: January/March/May/August/October.

There are many reasons, why one should choose USA as their study destination. The United States has one of the world’s finest university systems, with outstanding programs in virtually all fields. At the undergraduate level, excellent programs exist in traditional disciplines, as well as in professional fields. At the graduate level, students have the opportunity to work directly with some of the finest minds in their field of study, with the chance to become involved with exclusive research and educational opportunities. U.S. degrees are recognized throughout the world for their excellence. There are many more reasons to choose USA for higher education, such as:

  • Variety of Educational Opportunities
  • Cutting-Edge Technology
  • Opportunity for Research, Teaching and Training
  • Flexibility
  • Support Services for International Students
  • Global Education and Long-Term Career Prospects
The American education system offers a rich field of choices for international students. There is such an array of schools, programs and locations that the choices may overwhelm students, even those from the U.S. As you begin your school search, it’s important to familiarize yourself with the American education system. Understanding the system will help you narrow your choices and develop your education plan.

Education System

Just like American students, you will have to submit your academic transcripts as part of your application for admission to university or college. Academic transcripts are official copies of your academic work. In the U.S. this includes your “grades” and “grade point average” (GPA), which are measurements of your academic achievement. Courses are commonly graded using percentages, which are converted into letter grades. The grading system and GPA in the U.S. can be confusing, especially for international students. The interpretation of grades has a lot of variation. For example, two students who attended different schools both submit their transcripts to the same university. They both have 3.5 GPAs, but one student attended an average high school, while the other attended a prestigious school that was academically challenging. The university might interpret their GPAs differently because the two schools have dramatically different standards. Therefore, there are some crucial things to keep in mind: You should find out the U.S. equivalent of the last level of education you completed in your home country. Pay close attention to the admission requirements of each university and college, as well as individual degree programs, which may have different requirements than the university. Regularly meet with an educational advisor or guidance counselor to make sure you are meeting the requirements. Your educational advisor or guidance counselor will be able to advise you on whether or not you must spend an extra year or two preparing for U.S. university admission. If an international student entered a U.S. university or college prior to being eligible to attend university in their own country, some countries’ governments and employers may not recognize the students’ U.S. education.
Grading System

The school calendar usually begins in August or September and continues through May or June. The majority of new students begin in autumn, so it is a good idea for international students to also begin their U.S. university studies at this time. There is a lot of excitement at the beginning of the school year and students form many great friendships during this time, as they are all adjusting to a new phase of academic life. Additionally, many courses are designed for students to take them in sequence, starting in autumn and continuing through the year.

The academic year at many schools is composed of two terms called “semesters.” (Some schools use a three-term calendar known as the “trimester” system.) Still, others further divide the year into the quarter system of four terms, including an optional summer session. Basically, if you exclude the summer session, the academic year is either comprised of two semesters or three quarter terms.

Academic Year
A student, who is attending a college or university and has not earned a bachelor’s degree, is studying at the undergraduate level. It typically takes about four years to earn a bachelor’s degree. You can either begin your studies in pursuit of a bachelor’s degree at a community college or a four-year university or college.

Your first two years of study you will generally be required to take a wide variety of classes in different subjects, commonly known as prerequisite courses: literature, science, the social sciences, the arts, history, and so forth. This is so you achieve a general knowledge, a foundation, of a variety of subjects prior to focusing on a specific field of study.

Many students choose to study at a community college in order to complete the first two years of prerequisite courses. They will earn an Associate of Arts (AA) transfer degree and then transfer to a four-year university or college.

A “major” is the specific field of study in which your degree is focused. For example, if someone’s major is journalism, they will earn a Bachelor of Arts in Journalism. You will be required to take a certain number of courses in this field in order to meet the degree requirements of your major. You must choose your major at the beginning of your third year of school.

A very unique characteristic of the American higher education system is that you can change your major multiple times if you choose. It is extremely common for American students to switch majors at some point in their undergraduate studies. Often, students discover a different field that they excel in or enjoy. The American education system is very flexible. Keep in mind though that switching majors may result in more courses, which means more time and money.

Second Level: Graduate in Pursuit of a Master’s Degree

Presently, a college or university graduate with a bachelor’s degree may want to seriously think about graduate study in order to enter certain professions or advance their career. This degree is usually mandatory for higher-level positions in library science, engineering, behavioral health and education.

Furthermore, international students from some countries are only permitted to study abroad at a graduate level. You should inquire about the credentials needed to get a job in your country before you apply to a postgraduate university in the USA.

A graduate program is usually a division of a university or college. To gain admission, you will need to take the GRE (graduate record examination). Certain master’s programs require specific tests, such as the LSAT for law school, the GRE or GMAT for business school, and the MCAT for medical school.

Graduate programs in pursuit of a master’s degree typically take one to two years to complete. For example, the MBA (master of business administration) is an extremely popular degree program that takes about two years. Other master’s programs, such as journalism, only take one year.

The majority of a master’s program is spent in classroom study and a graduate student must prepare a long research paper called a “master’s thesis” or complete a “master’s project.”

Third Level: Graduate in Pursuit of a Doctorate Degree

Many graduate schools consider the attainment of a master’s degree the first step towards earning a PhD (doctorate). But at other schools, students may prepare directly for a doctorate without also earning a master’s degree. It may take three years or more to earn a PhD degree. For international students, it may take as long as five or six years.
For the first two years of the program most doctoral candidates enroll in classes and seminars. At least another year is spent conducting firsthand research and writing a thesis or dissertation. This paper must contain views, designs, or research that has not been previously published.

A doctoral dissertation is a discussion and summary of the current scholarship on a given topic. Most U.S. universities awarding doctorates also require their candidates to have a reading knowledge of two foreign languages, to spend a required length of time “in residence,” to pass a qualifying examination that officially admits candidates to the PhD program, and to pass an oral examination on the same topic as the dissertation.

There are wide range of courses offered in the universities and colleges of USA for undergraduate and post graduate level. Students willing to study in USA will have a broad range of courses from which they can choose from matching their interest and their previous course of study.


  • Agriculture, Environmental and related studies
  • Architecture and Building
  • Creative Arts
  • Education
  • Engineering
  • Health/Nursing
  • Information Technology
  • Management
  • Society and culture.


Both the tuition costs to study in the USA and living costs vary considerably between different universities/colleges, educations and cities. Tuition is usually between $5,000 and $50,000 per year. Costs for food and living are normally between $5,000 and $11,000 dollars per year. In addition to paying tuition, you need money for travelling, course literature, and personal expenses.

These expenses may be daunting, but there are a number of support systems in place for students to get financial assistance. Thousands of students get funding for college in the USA through grants and loans. Loans are amounts of borrowed money that must be paid back with interest (interest rates are usually low for students). Grants are gifts of money which do not need to be paid back. However, grants often have stipulations such as maintaining a certain grade point average to keep the money.

Many students may also be eligible for scholarships, which must be earned, whether through academic merit, athletic talent, or civic performance. Be cautious of fraudulent scholarship agencies, which often charge a fee in exchange for information. There is also financial aid available for international students to study in the United States, often for education at a graduate level.

We recommend you to do a personal calculation of all the costs to make sure that you have enough in your budget before you arrive in the USA, and begin researching sources of financial aid well in advance.



There are three accommodation options for students in the United States:

  • On-campus accommodation: you live on the school’s campus in a student room or student apartment. This accommodation can be more expensive, but you get to know a lot of students very fast. On-campus accommodation can be good for your first year at the school to be a part of campus life and meet other students. Meals may also be included in your on-campus accommodation.
  • Off-campus accommodation: You hire a private/shared apartment outside of campus, usually for a lower price than living on-campus. The International Office at the university can usually help you with information about private apartments and where to look for them. It can also be useful for temporary accommodation in the first few weeks upon arriving.
  • Host family accommodation: This accommodation alternative is only offered by a few universities. It is more expensive compared to living off-campus, but gives you the extra support of a family and ingrains you in American culture quickly.


US universities typically require non-native English speakers to take English language proficiency tests. However, an admissions office may waive this requirement if a student has completed several years of his/her schooling in an English-speaking country.

The two leading English language proficiency tests are TOEFL and IELTS.

The United States is one of  the prime destinations for students who are looking to benefit from a top notch and widely recognized international education.  However, there are limited scholarship options for international students who wish to study in the US. There is availability of full and partial scholarships for the international. The scholarship programs depend upon the universities and institute, and also the course of study.

Students willing to study in USA should apply to the colleges and universities by filling up the application form provided by the institution in their respective websites. The following are the list of documents required to apply in colleges and universities of USA or requirement for I-20:.

  • Attested Academic Certificates from USEF/N or concern School/College/University SLC Mark sheet and Character certificate +2/Intermediate level- Transcript, Provisional Certificate and Character Certificate Bachelor Level-Transcript and Character Certificate.
  • Two Recommendation Letter.
  • Passport photocopy
  • Passport size photographs-3 copies
  • Evidence of fund (Bank Statement)
  • University/college Application fee.


For studying in USA one should have a student visa. This visa allows students to work for 20 hours per week. The application fee for applying for student visa will cost USD 360 (i.e. Application fee USD 200 and SEVIS fee USD 160.These fees are subject to change with the changes made by US embassy. To apply for a student visa to study in USA, one need to provide evidence of the requirements set below.

  • A passport valid for at least six months beyond your initial travel date to the USA.
  • A completed and signed original Form I-20 or DS-2019 issued and endorsed by a school officia.l
  • Proof of SEVIS fee payment. Please check http://www.fmjfee.com for SEVIS payment.
  • Printed confirmation page (with barcode) from online DS-160 visa application. Dependents must complete their own separate online application (please visit the U.S. Embassy website http://nepal.usembassy.gov for more information on how to apply online using the DS-160 form).
  • A receipt indicating that you paid the Nepalese Rupee equivalent of the current visa application fee to Nabil Bank, Maharajgunj (behind Namaste Super Market) Kathmandu or to a Nabil Bank branch in Biratnagar, Birgunj, Pokhara, Butwal or Nepalgunj.  If you are issued a student visa, or a student dependent visa, there is an additional visa issuance fee, payable in Nepalese Rupees at the U.S. Embassy after your interview. (Issuance fees vary depending on your country of citizenship; please check http://travel.state.gov/visa/reciprocity/index.htm for more information).
  • Original transcripts from previous academic institutions attended.
  • No objection letter: from ministry of education, Keshar Mahal, Kathmandu.
  • Police reports: can be obtained from Kathmandu.
  • Photographs : in white background- 50mm X 50mm.
  • Visa application form: online procedure